Pages

Friday, October 9, 2020

 Day 32: Tennessee

The King(s)


Short drive today, Little Rock to Memphis. I arrived at Graceland just after it opened and did the tour.  It’s a huge attraction. Graceland itself, was smaller than I thought it would be. There are outbuildings with more things to see, and on the other side of the boulevard the museum has a huge car collection and a few of his airplanes.


Next I saw the very good National Civil Rights Museum. It’s attached the Lorraine motel, where Martin Luther King was assassinated.  The museum takes you through the origins of slavery, to the civil rights movement in the 1960’s. There was some more present-day stuff, although I didn’t see anything as current as what is been going on this summer with George Floyd etc.


After the museum, I found some good Memphis barbecue and walked down Beale Street. Although it was the afternoon so I didn’t get the full experience, but between Covid and the Hurricane coming, I don’t think it would be a good time to hit Beale Street for the full music experience.


Song of the Day: Walking in Memphis, Marc Cohn


Podcast: Nothing today


Book on Tape:  The Reckoning. (The book mentions the Peabody Hotel in Memphis frequently and I walked by it today)


Beer of the Day:  Zippin Pippin, Ghost River Brewing


Total Miles: 175






No comments:

Post a Comment