Pages

Friday, October 2, 2020

 Day 25 Utah

Area 51


Kansas, Nebraska, and the Dakota’s have nothing on Nevada when it comes to stark landscapes. Today I left Tonopah heading east.  It was 200 miles before I saw a gas station. I probably saw 12 cars in those miles.  I went by an Air Force missile range, and this is close to the famed “Area 51” At one point I turned on to a highway call the “Extraterrestrial Highway” I didn’t see any UFO’s, but a few cows on the highway. It’s called open range, they don’t even bother putting up fences to hold the cattle in, just let them roam.


My only stop today in Utah was Zion National Park, the Kolob Canyon part of the park. Lots of people parked at trail heads, hiking.  I just drove the 5-mile road to the top, for some good views. To fully see Zion, you need to make a reservation to take a shuttle, and I didn’t feel like being on a shuttle.


One more note about yesterday, after I wrote my blog, I went to dinner at one of two options in town, a nice Mexican restaurant.  I was the only one there wearing a mask, when I questioned the waitress, she said the town has not had any cases, so nobody bothers.  I checked my Weather Channel App, and sure enough there have been 0 cases in that town, but it’s interesting, there are a ton of people going through this town as it’s on the only route between Vegas and Reno and there were a lot of guys that worked for a mining services company staying there, judging by the number of company trucks parked everywhere. Nobody in these small towns seem concerned, the national hotel chains and fast food restaurants all use masks, but gas stations and local places are not feeling the need.  It’s not a state thing, it’s county by county.


Song of the Day: The Promised Land, Bruce Springsteen


Podcast: Smartless, Jennifer Aniston (just ok)


Book on Tape:  The Wright Brothers, interesting today about them trying to sell their invention - had to go to France to find a buyer.

 

Beer of the Day:  Oatmeal Stout, Moab Brewing

Total Miles 335






3 comments:

  1. Hi Nate,
    Sounds like a fun day and not too many miles. Area 51, very cool, too bad no UFO 🛸 sightings 😉. Sounds like you’re having a blast (missile range pun) and everything is going to plan. Be well and safe!
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will be interesting to see if mask wearing changes after Trump getting Covid. Sound like a peaceful day. Caprice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oatmeal spout... That sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete