Pages

Monday, September 28, 2020

 Day 21: Washington

Leaving Boise, headed for Washington, my GPS wanted to keep me on the highway, going inland to Oregon, before coming out in Southeast Washington. I referred to my trusty Rand McNally and headed north on highway 95 on the Idaho side of the boarder, straight north.  An amazing drive, I had a little bit of everything. Started with Potato fields, then moved to ranch land with mountains in the distance, moved into the heavy trees, with logging trucks everywhere.  For a time, I followed the Salmon river then climbed over a mountain, into the plains.  Something for everyone. One of the most interesting drives because it just kept changing.


I went through the Nez Perce Indian reservation today, just was listening about their land getting stolen yesterday on Bury My Heart.  Went by a memorial to Lewis and Clarke, who started their voyage home from near here.  I stopped in Lewiston Idaho to see Hells Canyon State Park, but it’s just a park on the Snake River.  Hells Canyon is the deepest river gorge in North America, unfortunately for me to see it would require a long hike or at least an off-road adventure.  I opted to just know I drove past it.

Ended the day in Pullman Washington.  Noticed driving into town there were these rolling hills that all had just recently been harvested, I hadn’t seen anything like that before with all the hills.  Turns out it’s Canola. 


Song of the Day: Life is a Highway, Rascal Flatts


Podcast: New one today, Stuff You Missed in History Class. Today the Delano Grape Strike & Boycott. Turns out it was started by Filipino laborers, the Mexican labor workers under Cesar Chavez joined later.


Book on Tape:  Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee 


Beer of the Day:  Cryo Stash, Hop Valley Brewing


Total Miles 340






No comments:

Post a Comment