Pages

Tuesday, September 8, 2020

 Day 1: Maine

Left home before 7 am, destination Mt Katahdin.  I wanted to see the Appalachian Trail Start/Ending.  A few years ago, I met a guy who was planning on hiking the Appalachian trail end to end.  He gave me his blog link and even though I never had a desire to hike the trail, I really admire people that do.  I really enjoyed reading this guy’s blog – it was part of the inspiration for me writing this blog.  I was able to get into Baxter State Park, but all the parking lots were full, so all I could do is see the start.

I had not been north of Bangor before, and it gets nice and quiet as you go north, lots of trees and I couldn’t really see Mt Katahdin, until I turned off the highway. Once I turned off the highway, I got a good view and the scenery was spectacular.

In Bangor for the night, no problem checking into the hotel, the front desk clerk was amazed that I filled out the required compliance form ahead of time, she said it rarely happens. After checking in I want to see the house Stephen King grew up in, (looks exactly like you would think Stephen Kings house would look like) Downtown Bangor had a few nice restaurants and a kind of funky vibe.  For dinner I adhered to the State quarantine rules and got takeout from Bangor Beer Company.

Song of the Day: On the Road Again, Willie Nelson

Podcast: Over the Road – stories about Trucking – put me in the mood for the trip ahead

Book on Tape: The Johnstown Flood, David McCullough – Preparing for Pennsylvania.

Beer of the Day: Juri, Bangor Beer Company

Total Miles 425.






7 comments:

  1. Good luck, Nate! Will be following along. Excited to read more stories and see photos. Looks like a good podcast too. Will check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nate, you're doing it! Christy and I can't wait to follow along! (Don't come to Colorado just yet, we've just had winter. Spring today and summer by the weekend.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the haircut Nate! And the blog is fun to read too. Nice format! I’ll be staying tuned as you progress! Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, nice start, Nate! Living the dream through you!

    ReplyDelete