Pages

Friday, July 29, 2022

 Day 5: Winnipeg to Wawa, Ontario

Another long day, after rest and coffee stops it was 14 hours.  The landscape did get more beautiful as I headed east. It took me 30 minutes on city streets to get out of Winnipeg and find the Trans Canadian highway again. At one point my GPS had me on a dirt road! I can't make this up. As I approached Ontario the plains gave way to pines trees and pretty good uncrowded roads. When I hit Thunder Bay, I got a look at Lake Superior. I would catch glimpses of the Great Lake and smaller lakes and ponds for the next 6 hours as I skirted the northern edge of the lake down to my stop for the night in Wawa. Really beautiful and unspoiled territory.

Interesting note from the hotel in Winnipeg yesterday. When I walked in I noticed a security guard hanging around the lobby. It struck me as unusual to see security in almost any Hampton Inn, unless it's in the middle of a large city. Guard was there when I got back from dinner and this morning when I got coffee. I then noticed a printed schedule for meals for the Ukrainian's. It was written in english and what must have been Ukrainian, There was also a note posted telling Ukrainian's how to to apply for Truck Driving positions in Canada.  The post mentioned CUET (Canada-Ukraine authorization for emergency travel) I confirmed with the security guard that the hotel was hosting Ukrainian refugees. Good for Canada - and I  reflected back on my visit to the Ukrainian heritage center back in Alberta. I can't imagine what it must be like to be living in a hotel by the airport in Winnipeg with all the destruction and sorrow going on back in your home country.

Last night I had dinner in downtown Winnipeg. I had a really good meal at a place called Brown's Social  House. My observation is that any place with "social" in the name is going to be good. After dinner I walked down by the river where there was a food court, entertainment and people just hanging out with their families enjoying a nice night in Winnipeg.


Book on Tape: Started Dream Town David Baldacci "an Archer Novel" Hollywood detective story set in the 1950's - it passes the time.

Podcast: Travel with Rick Steves - episode on Berlin (Planning my next trip)

Song of the Day: Sanctuary Hiss Golden Messenger (Not sure why I picked this, but when it comes on, it makes me happy.









No comments:

Post a Comment