Pages

Thursday, July 28, 2022

 Day 4: Saskatoon to Winnipeg

No stops today, the one place on my list was the Canadian Royal Aviation Museum at the Airport in Winnipeg, but by the time I rolled in, the museum was going to be closed. Today was only an 8 hour drive, but I lost an hour, I'm now in the Central Time Zone.

This trip is not for everyone - you have to love to be on the open road, admire the landscape for what it is and appreciate that this is where a lot of the world's food supply comes from.  Today leaving Saskatoon on the way to the Capital of Regina (Waitress last night said Saskatoon is way better than Regina, because the University is in Saskatoon ) it took me two hours to find a place to stop for a cup of coffee. Before you leave town out here, make sure you have a full tank of gas.

Last night I walked around Saskatoon a little. The riverfront area was really nice, people were strolling along a river walk and across a bridge, there was music and the weather was really pleasant. Later in an english pub there seemed to be a vibrant social scene with lots of young friendly people. A little concerning was there seemed to be some down and out Native American people around the town, I guess Canada has not figured it out any better than we have.  It made me especially sad, reflecting on the proud people that organized Buffalo hunts in the 1800's.  The Pope was just in Alberta apologizing for the treatment of the indigenous people's children in church run schools.

In Regina, I had to get a car wash because my car was covered in bugs, and even after the wash, my grill looks like I took out my share of Canadian bugs. The other thing I appreciate about what Eisenhower did with the US Interstate system, is there are rest area's everywhere. Here, they are far and few in between, even today from Regina to Winnipeg on Trans Canada Highway 1 in 4 hours I think I saw two rest areas. On the plus side traffic was non existent, the weather was mid 70's and the sky was clear, road trip weather.

Podcast: Business Wars - Haagen-Dazs vs Ben & Jerry's - I learned a lot that I didn't know about Ben&Jerry's.

Book on Tape: Finished the Jack Reacher book - good road trip book because at the end he always decides he needs to hit the road again

Song of the Day: I Hate Winnipeg Gareth Maccabbin ( I don't hate Winnipeg - but the title is too good  not to select as the song of the day)







No comments:

Post a Comment